An unpleasant smile stems out due to various reasons, like discolored teeth, spacing, and crowding of teeth, fractured teeth, or unpleasant gums. A skillful blend of cosmetic science and art helps your dentist “sculpt” or ‘design’ smile for you.
You are a candidate for Smile Design if:
- You have stained teeth or discolored fillings.
- Your teeth are crowded, overlapping, or crooked.
- You have missing teeth/large gaps between teeth.
- Your teeth have uneven shape due to chipping, fractures, or rough edges.
- Your teeth are uneven in length.
- If you have a gummy smile.
The various techniques employed in “Smile Design” are as follows :
• CROWNS AND BRIDGES
Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental laminates) are paper-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored material designed to cover the front surface of teeth to enhance your appearance. They are made of ceramic or composite resin. Indirect (ceramic) veneers are more durable and require 2-3 sittings whereas direct (composite) veneers require single sitting. Veneers can transform the size, shape, and color of the teeth to the desired effect and are the most preferred and effective tools to give your smile a quick cosmetic makeover.
They require minimal to no preparation of the teeth and hence require a painless and minimally invasive procedure. Due to major advancements in ceramic technology and bonding science in dentistry, veneers now look, feel and function like natural teeth and are firmly bonded to the teeth, lasting many years.
Benefits of Smile Design
- It aligns the mal-aligned teeth
- It closes gaps between the teeth
- It can change the shape of your teeth
- It masks the intrinsic stains It can remove old discolored restorations