Excess Facial Hair
A lot of women experience small hair growth on their face but sometimes, there is excessive, coarse hair growth on the face. This can get frustrating, embarrassing and often depressing for many women going through this condition. Many times, however, excessive facial hair could also be part of the natural ageing process wherein your oestrogen level starts to decline, altering the balance of oestrogens and testosterone in your body. With your body producing less oestrogens and thus increasing the levels of testosterone in your body, you would then end up with excessive facial hair growth.
What causes excess facial hair?
Ageing is the most common reason for excess facial hair growth, however, that is not always the case and there are a number of other factors that could cause excess facial hair growth.
- Hirsutism, is a condition in which excessive hair growth often appears suddenly in places where normal men would have hair growth. This could be a genetic condition but could also get triggered due to certain medications.
- Higher production of testosterone in women could lead to excessive facial hair growth.
- Certain hormonal changes, specifically the hormonal imbalance caused by Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), a common condition among pre-menopausal women, which causes cysts to grow around the edge of the ovaries, could lead to excessive facial hair growth.
- Menopause could also cause a hormonal imbalance leading to increasing levels of testosterone, followed by excessive facial hair growth.
- Cushing’s Syndrome could cause excessive facial hair growth among women. This is caused because the body affected by this syndrome, is exposed to high levels of the hormone cortisol for a prolonged period. This could happen if your body produces cortisol in excess or if you take corticosteroids over a long period of time.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia is a hereditary condition which affects the adrenal glands that produce the sex hormones. This could lead to an imbalance that would lead to excess facial hair growth.
Treatments for excess facial hair
We, at PHI Clinic, believe in approaching all skin conditions holistically and therefore will help you make a plan that involves dietary and lifestyle changes, as well medications or treatments options as needed for your condition. Some of the treatment options for excess facial hair growth are:
- Laser hair removal, a targeted treatment that uses lasers to remove unwanted hair could be opted for to remove excess facial hair. This treatment can be used for reducing unwanted hair in clients with medical conditions or otherwise.
- Medication that will help balance your hormones so that you don’t have any unwanted facial hair growth could also be suggested.
Reach out to us to understand what treatment plan would work best for your condition. Depending on the severity, cause, and your desire, our experts will personally guide you through the treatments for excess facial hair removal.