No one wants to be shunned for having a stinky breath but sometimes a lot of people suffer from bad breath, also known as halitosis. This condition, however, is treatable and with proper care and dental hygiene, bad breath can definitely be combated.
What causes bad breath?
You decide to eat that delicious garlic bread and then immediately regret it because now your breath smells like garlic. However, although disturbing, this is only temporary. There are a lot of things that could cause bad breath.
- Certain food substances like garlic or onions.
- Poor dental hygiene can lead to bad breath as food that gets stuck in your mouth reacts with the odour-producing bacteria, causing bad breath.
- Smoking can lead to bad breath.
- Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, can lead to bad breath. This often happens during the mornings after we wake up, especially if you sleep with your mouth open. Saliva, that usually keeps our mouth clean, when it is low and the mouth dries out, it can contribute to bad breath.
- Infections, such as gum infections, could lead to bad breath.
- Some diseases such as GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) or cancer can contribute to bad breath.
Treatment for bad breath
Maintaining proper dental hygiene is of utmost importance, in order to avoid or at times, even reverse bad breath. You will need to consult an expert to find out the root cause of your bad breath in order to get the right treatment. A professional clean-up could be something that a doctor might recommend if the problem isn’t deep-rooted like gum infection or cavity.
At PHI Clinic, we offer treatment plans that are holistic in nature and our licensed and certified experts will guide you through the best treatment options depending on the severity of your problem.